Lab Safety Rules :
As a student in the laboratories of this department, you must follow several basic safety rules. Compliance with these rules and common sense will keep you and your lab mates safe during your time in our labs.
- Approved splashproof goggles must be worn at all times.
- Clothing must cover all skin from the chest down and cannot be baggy or loose. Shoes must cover your feet to protect against spills and/or broken glass.
- Long hair must be tied back.
- Know the exact location of the following items in the laboratory: fire extinguishers, fume hoods, sources of running water, and first aid kits.
- All accidents, no matter how small, must be reported immediately to the teacher or lab assistant.
- Students may work in the laboratory only when a teacher or lab assistant in the course is present.
- Do not perform any procedures or experiments without the explicit consent of your teacher, including bending or deliberately breaking glassware.
- Eating, chewing, and drinking are NOT permitted in lab.
- You should protect your device (laptop or tablet) with a keyboard cover or appropriate envelope that is only used in the laboratory.
- Read labels carefully before using chemicals.
- All containers that contain chemicals must be labeled.
- Handle chemicals, particularly concentrated acids and bases, in a slow, deliberate, and careful manner.
- Laboratory waste and residues are to be disposed of in an advised and approved manner. Do not overfill waste bottles.
- Friends or other persons not enrolled in the course are not permitted in the laboratory.
- Keep the laboratory clean at all times.
- Do not enter or leave lab without teacher permission.
- Enter and leave your laboratory from the front gate only.
- Wash your hands thoroughly before leaving the laboratory.